Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Talk about cleansing your karma!

WARNING! If you have not seen the movie, Seven Pounds, and plan on seeing it and don't want to know what it is about, you probably shouldn't read this blog post. However, I'm only going to give an overview because I want you to watch it for the specifics.

In December, a close friend told me about a morning radio show she had listened to that recommended that everyone see "Seven Pounds." I had not heard anything about it besides the fact that Will Smith starred in it. She said the radio host said it was one of the movies that he saw that he had seen and couldn't hold back tears. We began to talk about something else, I didn't see it and never heard anything else about it.

In February, while visiting my parents and watching the Super Bowl, my dad suggested that I see it. I took note and put it on my "To Watch" movie list for a lazy day. A couple of weeks ago, Jamaal and I decided to watch it.

Essentially, Will Smith plays a successful engineer who has it all - great job, great car, great house and great fiancee but he doesn't appreciate it. He works all the time and has difficulty separating himself from his work. On the night he proposes to his fiancee, he continues to check his Blackberry while driving down the curvy hills of Southern California. Before he can stop, he runs into an SUV and kills the 6 people inside plus his fiancee.

In an effort to cleanse his karma, he sets out to save 7 lives as penance for what happened. Posing as an IRS auditor, he "tests" 7 different people to see how worthy they are of being helped in a way that will change and even save their lives. He forms strong bonds and even falls in love with one of them without any of them knowing his plan. Mysteriously, he disappears as each of the 7 people are helped in a domino effect while learning that he died to give each of them a gift. (You'll have to watch it to find out what the gifts are!)

I had not cried from watching a movie like this in ages. It was deep. I recommend that you watch it. It's definitely worth the $4 rental fee at Blockbuster or putting it on your Netflix list.

I love my blog and hope you do too! I NEED YOUR COMMENTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think -please leave your comments!