Monday, February 9, 2009

Grammy Surprises - Post Grammy Night

You know I have thoughts about the Grammy's!! If you read my previous blog post, you know who my favorites are.

First off, Adele was phenomenal. I'm so happy for her. She is so adorable and crazy talented!! I expect many more wonderful things from her.

Lil Wayne was one of the best of the night. All of this work over the past year truly paid off. He commanded the stage and received the attention he deserved.

M.I.A. was the cutest mom I have ever seen. I knew that she was pregnant. I knew that her baby was due the day of the Grammy's and I also knew that she was performing pregnant. But she was very pregnant! Good for her to still perform and with tons of energy!

With 5 nominations, Jazmine Sullivan did not prove to be victorious to my disappointment. However, she has had a lot of momentum in the past few months and if your album is good enough to glean 5 nominations, you can only go up from there.

There were a lot of good surprises:
  • Estelle and Kanye West's performance of "American Boy" for which they won a Grammy for. (I'm still not quite sure how I feel about Kanye's hair... but Estelle was adorable)
  • Good to know that Blink 182 is getting back together!
  • Although some of my favorites were eliminated in the process, I am not against the success that Robert Plant is receiving for his new endeavors.
  • Green Day in all of their glory didn't look half bad to be approaching 40's.
  • Daft Punk received 2 awards which speaks to their increased success on the dance music scene.

I cannot write about the Grammy's without discussing Coldplay. I'm as much of a Coldplay fan as the next person. I even have "Viva La Vida" but with all of the amazing music that has been released over the past year, there is no way that Coldplay should have won that many awards. I'm over it. (and their outfits were ridiculous) Now I'm really over it.

My highlight of the night was a culmination of my favorites with a performance of "Swagger Like Us" - M.I.A. in all of her pregnant glory, Jay-Z in its infinite hip hop wisdom, Kanye West my hip hop saviour, Lil Wayne the future of hip hop and T.I. the King of the South. (Sorry Ludacris) Hip hop at its best.

All in all I thought it was a well executed show that brought music's past and present together in a meaningful way.

Until next year,

S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think -please leave your comments!