Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Getting back on track...

So by the time summer #3 rolled around, I was 16 and was eligible to get a "real job." One of my close friends worked at the McDonald's in the town I grew up in so I applied there, she put in a good word and the rest was history.

People get really frustrated with me when we go through a drive-thru and I don't know what I want and I ask the person to wait for just a moment. I know this is not unreasonable because I did this - for over 2 years! I started at the bottom at the register but when they realized how efficient I actually was, I worked the drive-thru. When you work at a fast food restaurant, especially in the drive-thru, there are time standards for how long it should take to process an order from start to finish. I believe the average is 2 minutes, believe it or not! I mastered the drive-thru and saved their processing times if I don't say so, myself!

There were some fun times and "challenging" times - as you can imagine. But in the end, I believe it set the tone for the development of my work ethic and interactions with different types of people.

Project management, conflict resolution, accounting, goal setting, tracking and managing productivity, anticipating clients' needs, sales, marketing, etc. are things that people may $30K+ for in an MBA program. My only cost for learning these things was a little hard work at my local McDonald's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think -please leave your comments!