Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Great Expectations: Happy Inauguration Day!

So I have been thinking for some time about my official Inauguration Day blog post. This election has brought about more buzz than previous elections, especially for my generation. It has been an exciting countdown since November 4th and the timing of the Inauguration and all that we remember for Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday couldn't have been better.

I have a number of memories from this campaign however, with that being said, it was still hard to choose the one that compelled me the most...until today. I was driving to work when I heard an interview with Jay-Z (my hip-hop hero) where they asked him his feelings about the campaign.

In the interview he indicated that not until he was almost 40 years old did he have any type of interest in politics. And no, it wasn't just because Barack Obama happened to be African-American (although it is wonderful). He went on to describe how before now, he and many others like him, did not and had not voted because they had not had any interaction with politics. The issues that had been discussed in previous elections were not what he defined as issues on a day-to-day basis. Yes, the economy, taxes, war, foreign policy, etc. are of all great importance, but when you're just trying to survive, literally day by day, not so much. For him and all those he represented, politics never trickled down to who they were and what they experienced.

Sadly, this was the case in communities around the country and ultimately around the world. If you don't interact with politics, politics do not necessarily interact with you. It's a sad Catch 22. He went on to describe how exciting and inspiring it is to now have a minority as President but even more so to have someone who understands plights other than their own.

I second that and am hopeful for all of the changes that I feel President Obama can and will make. I definitely understand that these will not happen overnight, not even in an ideal four year term. As President Obama stated in his address today, "We as a nation will extend a hand to others as long as they are willing to unclench their fist." I truly believe that it is a new beginning in many respects and plan to live this year as such.

I invite you to do the same. Get rid of the to-do lists and just do it. Plan but with a purpose; a plan is only good if it's put into action. Be open to change and it will come to you. If nothing else, enjoy each day to the fullest, ask for help when you need it and when you don't know what to do, do nothing!

Thank you President Obama for rekindling the hope that many of us have lost. Happy Inauguration Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think -please leave your comments!