Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Procrastination

Last weekend Jamaal and I took a yuppie field trip to Target. (Don't be offended, you know that's what yuppie couples do. Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, all the same. Embrace your yuppiness.)

After finishing our shopping trip, we ventured over to Barnes & Noble. In resisting the temptation for a grande mocha,I ventured over to the reduced books section. I noticed a book about procrastination and thought "I need that." I wondered around more and ended up in the original spot with the procrastination book.
Don't get me wrong. I get the things that are necessary completed fairly easily. However, I often find difficulty starting, nevertheless accomplishing, the things on my "Dream Big, Life's Too Short, Anything is Possible, To Do List". Who or what I'm waiting for, I don't know.

Since I was there, I read the book jacket and found it to be quite enlightening. The book basically asserts that while some view procrastination and workaholicism as two different things, the author believes they are actually two components that work together to form a cycle-procrastination (generally a lack of work) creates workaholicism (an overabundance of work). People either become addicted to the extremes or become conditioned to operating this way. Interesting thought and, describes my pattern perfectly. I walked around with the book but decided not to buy it because I would be recreating the pattern that the book is describing. I didn't need one more item on my neverending to do list.

But, it prompted a new perspective. I have decided to confront my procrastination head on and get some things crossed off my list.

Stay tuned...

P.S. Did you know that an & is not allowed in a tag in Blogger? So I can't use Barnes & Noble? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think -please leave your comments!